Tags

, ,

Contact dermatitis

Contact dermatitis is a condition in which the skin becomes red, sore, or inflamed after direct contact with a substance. There are two kinds of contact dermatitis: irritant or allergic. Some are quick to disappear and some can become quite serious if not treated correctly.CD

This is the definition of a condition that can sometimes be found from visiting nail salons.

A professional nail technician will have all the proper cleaning and sanitizing procedures in place. And use them. That is the first step in preventing the spread of disease and infections.

Proper use of the chemicals that are used during manicure/pedicure and enhancement services is essential as well.

It is the nail technicians duty to make sure that your service experience is pleasant and that you are not exposed to things that may harm you. And to understand the chemistry of the products they use.Stock-exchange-Woman-soaking-feet-at-spa-4-21-12

paracelsus

Paracelsus, a sixteenth century physician was the first to talk about toxins in scientific terms. His communications about poisons and toxins make it easy to understand that even things that we may think are safe aren’t always. And that things we feel are dangerous may not be at all.

He stated “All substances are poisons; there is none that is not a poison. Only the dose differentiates a poison and a remedy”

He was the first person to recognize that everything on earth is toxic to some degree. It only depends on how we use them.

The Overexposure Principle is that overexposure determines toxicity.

As a example of this, consider salt water. Salt water is highly toxic if we drink enough of it. Yet, we swim in it without fear of poisoning!swimming-in-the-ocean

Picture courtesy of: www.picstopin.com

Toxicity doesn’t make a substance automatically unsafe, it is the improper use of substances that does that.

Knowledge of the chemicals used in salons is imperative. As I have said in earlier posts, if your nail technician can’t tell you what products they are using, it may be better to move on!

Contact dermatitis occurs when substances touching your skin cause irritation or an allergic reaction. The resulting red, itchy rash isn’t contagious or life-threatening, but it can be very uncomfortable.

If your skin is sensitive to anything, please do yourself and your technician a favor and let them know. This way they can take steps to ensure that they are extra careful and use the proper products.

tech customer

Also, nail technicians (hairdresser and others who experience prolonged use of certain products) need to take care not to overexpose themselves to products.

Always make sure you are visiting a salon where professionally licensed nail technicians are working.

And contact your health professional if you have concerns.